Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Speaking Truth to Power's Wife!!! (honoring my former congressperson, Cynthia McKinney)


Walking to the New Hanover County Library this afternoon to rent a copy of my former boss and mentor Tennessee Williams' THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, I noticed that not only was a vehicle in the drive with NC Senate plates at 5th and Dock Streets, but the sliding back door of the van was open -- and no one appeared to be around.

I had stopped before and talking to some hurriedly-leaving, white, Country-Club types, been invited to knock on the back door (more like a side door, actually), if a car was in. When they heard my last name was Kenan, they had become most friendly that day.

But unlike most Wilmington folk, they never seemed to be on their wrap-around porches, and I hate to knock on the doors of those I'm not more acquainted with. It had been about eight weeks since I'd met them briefly, and fearing the anger of "County-Clubbers" when you do something that seems helpful -- like closing a car door inadvertently left open (I've seen these types threaten law suits and make the most ridiculous accusations of intentions over helpful acts -- not realizing they give away their OWN motivations when they do so), I climbed the few steps up and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" -- the voice of a young child.
"Scott Kenan."
I waited about twenty seconds and the door opened. A not-yet-middle-aged woman with a child in her arms stood in front of me.
"I noticed someone left your van's door open . . . " I gestured toward it. "Other side of the car. Can I close it for you?'
"No, I'll get it." The child squirmed and her hold seemed tenuous.
"Well, I stopped while y'all were rushing off a few weeks ago, and someone said to be sure to stop by to talk one day. Never see anyone outside. Which Senator lives here, could you tell me?"
"My husband, Thom."
"Goolsby?"
She nodded.
"Well, if you wouldn't mind telling him that Scott Kenan stopped by -- new in the neighborhood --thought I should let him know I expect to put him in jail before too long -- connections to Republican narco-trafficking and such. Would you like my card?"
Mrs. Goolsby shook her head "no" as she closed the door politely, struggling to keep her grasp on her child as she did. She had only one more door to go!!!
(The van door -- if you are too drug-addled to keep track here.)

More on NC State Senator Goolsby: "Pay-to-play politics can be petty – or deadly serious. The Wilmington Star-Newsreports that state Sen. Thom Goolsby received a $4,000 donationfrom the head of the city’s home builders association and shortly thereafter introduced a bill in the General Assembly that the association’s lobbyist had prepared. The bill overrides a city policy about how the Wilmington convention center is rented to groups. That policy hardly deserves statewide attention, but the Goolsby/builder interaction does, because the two men risk being charged under the state’s anti-bribery law if “it could reasonably be inferred that the thing of value [the $4,000 donation] would influence the legislator in the discharge of the legislator’s duties” (NC General Statute 120-86)."

From http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2011/06/16/a-grim-conclusion-to-a-lousy-session/

.

No comments: