Sunday, December 29, 2013

Will Miracles Never Cease???



Just looking around in my collection of thousands of images, this one popped up. I had labeled it “Dorothy McCaskill”, but strangely now, I forget who she is – although I guess this was what I thought of her at the time. Actually, I think she might be a Democrat in Congress (now getting little press).




>>> THIS JUST IN: BLOGGER (part of Google), still will NOT allow me to remove old posts. Perhaps the CIA wants me to KEEP EVERYTHING UP, no???


* * *


>>> MORE AND LESS MIRACULOUS THINGS:


1.      I talked to Mom this morning – to let her know what my doctor had said Friday – but I also knew she’d get a big kick out of my chicken story, which she did. But I also wanted to reminisce about my life until age six, when her Mom died and Grandpa’s life took him out of Brookville, Indiana. Before that, visits to Brookville were TONS OF FUN, not only because Grandpa had a chicken coop and I learned all about gathering eggs, wringing necks, and scalding and plucking chickens, but he was an EXCELLENT carpenter too with a work area in the garage, a HUGE garden with grape arbor and a wine-making area in the basement for making wine near the sweetness of Manischewitz, an actual COAL FURNACE that I learned how to feed and stoke – and Grandma taught me how to use her wringer washing machine.




ALL THIS before going to Great-Uncle Dan’s farm on the edge of town, where we played in the hay loft and got to know something about the care of cows (including hand-milking, which is trickier than it should be), horses, sheep, and pigs (and to be careful of the snakes we encountered in the hay). Across the street lived Great Aunt Lena in her late nineties, and then back to town and near the Catholic Church where my parents were married, lived Mom’s aunt and her daughter, who twenty years before and not long after her marriage had slipped on ice, leaving her a permanently bed-ridden invalid, who could not understandably speak or write at all.

The good news was that the husband stayed at her side until she died in the 1970s, but TOO literally so, not working and they all lived on the income of his mother-in-law. And after her death, the husband turned to my father, hoping that at his age, and after about 35 years of not working, Dad could get him a job with Sun Oil, which put Dad in a terrible position since he really DID have empathy.

I can’t say I know what finally happened to that guy, but the KICK of all this for me is that the house they lived in (now commemorated with a fairly big stone marker and bronze plaque in the front yard), was the birthplace of Lew Wallace who wrote BEN HUR – the movie of which came out and was a HUGE BLOCK-BUSTER like STAR WARS was later, when I was about eight, so I was caught up in all THAT EXCITEMENT!!!



BEN HUR (a Tale of the Christ), the world's then MOST HONORED FILM EVER (til then, anyway), was Metro Goldwyn Mayer's vehicle for LOTS of "T&A" Action that would NEVER have passed the censors then if it were not CHRISTIAN.


This was my first “literary coincidence”.


But getting back to my conversation with Mom, I also told her of my intention to contact the CIA tomorrow and updated her on my growing reasons for removing this blog (if possible, I’ll remove 2010 and 2011 today AFTER posting this and emailing). And then I made CLEAR that I’m into REFORMATION, not punishments, before I changed the subject so the discomfort was brief.


2.      I should mention what was in the title of my last broadcast email that blog readers don’t know: Yesterday while I was online, Google CHROME worked FLAWLESSLY for me for the first time in YEARS, and if I had NOT been short on time, I bet Google BLOGGER would have worked so I could have deleted more posts then.

I did finally open Internet Explorer, but it was as pathetic as usual, taking three minutes to bring up CNN, and the same for Huffington Post (and it always claims this blog’s address DOES NOT EXIST and now even the same for BLOGGER’S sign-in page), but what is ODDEST is that while those eight boxes in a new tab keep updating with my most visited websites, I.E absolutely REFUSES to include HuffPost there and in fact several times per online going, the tab for HuffPost simply CLOSES without my input. SURELY Microsoft can do better than THIS.


3.   THE IMPORTANT THING:


Ever since right after the 2008 election, there is a debate going on in the Republican Party that Sue “S.E.” Cupp mentioned MOST CASUALLY today on Candy Crowley – and NO ONE has been SINGING its significance, although all repeat it FREQUENTLY the last few years. Sue said the Republican Party still is trying to decide if they should Run on Principle – or To Get Elected.

Hello?!?!?

If getting elected and standing on your Principles are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE, GOOD LUCK in this era of EVERYONE finally trying to pay REAL attention.

This actually really depressed me because it PROVED the Republicans KNOW they have lost the moral battle, and I’d hoped they had something MORE to say than that. Of course I already KNEW they had no moral legs to stand on – excepting pieces here and there, like Rand Paul’s stands against drone warfare and the NSA’s over-exuberance.





4.      But help was on the way when later, Brian Selter (who seems to have somewhere lost his “z”), was nearly HIGHJACKED by Kathy Griffin (who – it was claimed by Jed Clampon -- lives part-year next door to his Mismaloya Home that I tried to buy in 2010), made what I guess was a sort of nasty crack by asking Brian Selter (new on CNN), if he had been forced yet to spoon with Candy Crowley.


Now I may be a card-carrying HOMO, but (with clothes on, please), I would LOVE to spoon with Candy Crowley – I think she’s one of the JOLLIEST women on TV!!!

Scott




.

No comments: